Sunday, June 07, 2009

Ryan Pyle Blog: Automatic Blogging

Hello.

I've become a bit of a fan of the automatic blog post. And actually this blog was written on May 28th, just the day before I left for my epic journey around the Tibetan holy mountain of Meili Snow Mountain; a gorgeous peak that lies along the borders of Burma, Tibet and China. The pilgrimage trek that I'll be following, or that I am currently on, takes about 10 days and covers roughly 250km; exact numbers are difficult to come by but it's pretty easy to guess that we are walking roughly 25km per day at altitudes of 3500-4500m, with 6 high passes listed as being 4500m-5000m.

So as this blog is being published (automatically scheduled) I should be, without incident, well in to my morning walk somewhere between the 3rd and 4th high pass around 4500m above sea level.

The purpose behind the trek, apart from enjoying the stunning mountains, rivers and minority life in China, is to document this Tibetan pilgrimage route. Tibet, and Tibetan culture has taken a real beating the last year and a half or so, since the run up to the Olympics; and even as far back as the riots last March in Lhasa. I think now is a crucial moment to stop and look at the fact that with all the suppression and repression that exists in China, Tibetan buddhism and culture is still alive and well in very remote areas like Meili Snow Mountain. While political centers like Lhasa have been devoid of much color or culture for years, mostly thanks to political education and lengthy jail sentences, places just outside the reach of the government still possess a wild west, cowboy Tibetan, feel. There is something very comforting and authentic about that. So that is what I am out to document, the fact that Tibetan culture is not entirely down and out; at least in the remote areas.

I'll be sure to include a blog about my journey once it's complete; along with images from the trip.

Did I mention that I'm on the trek at this very moment? Love the Auto Blog.

--
Ryan Pyle
Photographer
ryan@ryanpyle.com
Website: www.ryanpyle.com
Archive: http://archive.ryanpyle.com
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,

This is Ryan Pyle. I appreciate you adding a comment to my blog and I hope that this space has offered you something useful and interesting. I look forward to staying in touch and I'm glad you took the time to comment.

Ryan Pyle
ryan@ryanpyle.com
www.ryanpyle.com