Friday, March 19, 2010

Ryan Pyle Blog: Magazine Revenue 2009

Hello.

It pains me to have to bring this kind of stuff up all the time, but I thought it was important to publish this list. The list in question is the 2009 revenue from the Magazine Publishers of America. And for people like me, who depend on publishers to spend money on images, it makes bleak reading.

A few highlights on the list:

1) The overall average for the difference in revenue between 2008 and 2009 is -18.1%. That means that on average each magazine lost 17% revenue from 2008 to 2009. No small number. Hence the massive layoffs and huge reduction in picture purchasing, especially in assignments to create original imagery.

2) US News and World Report, once a major picture buyer and huge publisher of photojournalism, was down 88% compared to 2008.

3) Portfolio Magazine, one of my clients, went bust.

4) People Magazine was up 3.8%. Maybe I should start up a celebrity photography business in China.

5) National Geographic was down 14%; and NG's other titles like Adventure (which went bust) and Traveler were down at least 30% from 2008.

6) Organic Gardening was up 16% year on year with 2008. Plant photograph anyone?

And the rest makes pretty tough reading. You'll have to follow the link below to see the actual numbers, I couldn't find a format to properly download the statistics and have them cropped in to my blog. Please see below.

LINK: Magazine Publishers of America

--
Ryan Pyle
Photographer
ryan@ryanpyle.com
Website: www.ryanpyle.com
Archive: http://archive.ryanpyle.com
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,

This is Ryan Pyle. I appreciate you adding a comment to my blog and I hope that this space has offered you something useful and interesting. I look forward to staying in touch and I'm glad you took the time to comment.

Ryan Pyle
ryan@ryanpyle.com
www.ryanpyle.com